Monday, September 24, 2007

Sauna Twin

Last week, I was sick and decided to go to my grandmother's house for some much needed T.L.C. We were watching novelas when commercial graced our screen:



It promises a slimmer figure in three weeks without having to do any work! Can you imagine?

I can't.

As my nana was reaching for the phone, I wondered: we eat tamales and beans pumped with lard, tortillas and pan dulce packed with carbs, and our community has its own diabetes association, but we constantly look for products to help us find the easy way out.

The Latino Diabetes Association says that starches, fruits, milk, starchy vegetables such as corn, and sweets are all carbohydrate foods, something that diabetics need to keep in check.

So I wandered around my nana's kitchen and noticed corn tamales, peach and fig empanadas, potato pancakes, and a half a cup of milk ready to be mixed in with some coffee (I really needed the pampering) and was really astonished that no one in our family has diabetes.

While I'm taking that as a blessing, my nana just shrugged and said, "I brought the good genes into the family," as she takes a bite of her empanada.

No comments: