Monday, November 19, 2007

Dîa de dar gracias

Don't ask me why, but I've almost always celebrated Thanksgiving in Mexico, whether my family's eating tacos de cabeza in Hermosillo or an actual turkey in Bahia de Kino. My Mexican family usually joins in, taking some time off of work to help with the cooking, or just stopping by late to eat. It's pretty amazing to see how Knorr Suiza chicken bullion (a Mexican kitchen must-have) adds that certain taste to stuffing.

I thought I was one of the only ones to experience this until I ran into Lorena Barraza, a journalism student, who plans on traveling across the border to celebrate the holiday with her grandparents in Guaymas.

"I don't get time to see my grandparents that much," she said. "This is a good opportunity for me to spend some quality time (with them)."

Lorena, who "can't even boil water" appreciates the fact that her grandmother goes out of her way to actually crate a full-fledged Thanksgiving menu.

Surprisingly, this year my family has had a turn of events and I'll actually be spending Turkey Day in Nogales, Ariz. Even more strange, family from Mexico will be joining us.

No comments: